Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Tattoo of Books on the Soul

Last night I watched my dad hold my great-niece. The family connection is too extended to decipher, but it was a great moment for me, this passing of life from generation to generation.

When I was in library school, one of the things that intrigued me most was the thought that books imprint from our memories. If we are sad, or happy, or at a certain place when we are reading a story, the book is forever associated with that place, or time or emotion. Is it only us that's affected, or does the book carry our thought and emotion with it? Is it forever changed by our humanness?

We write down our stories so that generations and generations can learn from where we've been and what we've felt. And, if not for the places we are, would we feel those feelings?

And if books are forever changed, what changes do we affect on the other humans in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment