Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Compassion and Taxes

For years I refused to tell anyone I was raised in poverty. I dressed, talked, and acted as if I had no idea what poverty was like. I saw the look in the eyes of other professionals when they knew someone had lived in poverty. If the person who had lived in poverty had an opinion, or wanted to contributed, they were suspect.

One day, I was tired of the charade. I was raised in poverty, I've been there, and I know what it's like. I also know we live in a world of pretenders and when you are desperately poor, so poor that you accept food from the community food pantry so your children will have something to eat, there is no room for pretense.

And so, because my reality is different from the reality of those who have control of the dollars, and my viewpoint is not valued because it comes from a different perspective, I have limited choices. Oh, for the days when I was silent and invisible.

I have compassion for my fellow man, and will provide help when needed. Do I get taken advantage of? Probably. But not enough to make a true difference in my own financial situation. I'm more concerned about the fees I've had to pay over the years, in interest, penalties, late fees, and yes taxes to those who are making record breaking profits on the back of my labor. That concerns me much more than the $10 I gave to a homeless person who used it to buy cheese and beer.

Perhaps my viewpoint should change? I'd love to see the view from the very top looking down and try to understand the motivation of those who do not care about other human beings. But I'm afraid I can't. I have a conscience. My husband always tells me I will never be rich because I care too much for other people. If that's true, and I've sealed my fate, I'm ok with that.

LEARN THE ISSUES! LEARN THE TRUTH BEFORE YOU VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment